Dynamic humidity control

Please provide an update on nests current automatic humidity control features and where a customer can find this in nests technical documentation. The nest technical specification page says that a professional should install if using as humidistat. I plan to have a professional install my smart thermostat with whole house humidifier but it seems based on this forum that automatic humidity control has not been supported after many years of customer requests. Please provide an honest answer regarding nests ability for automatic humidity control features. Then I will decide if to return my nest thermostats,. Which I just purchased. Thanks.

I am hoping for an answer on this as well. Set this up last year not knowing that it did not have dynamic control. I did use the 3rd party website above but really not ideal and cannot do higher level of security on my account to use the site. It is really a pain to adjust manually based on the temperature outside. I guess if need be Ill have to either buy a competitor or put in the accompanying component that does this that came with my humidifier.

@LionelI -
I officially gave up on your products this weekend.
I’ve converted to Ecobee and started to moved my camera system to Arlo and Ring. I’m disappointed and frustrated with Nest. I feel that your company has lost focus on their original goals; innovative, forward thinking products that solve customer needs.
I humbly think you have lost the desire to support your customers and are no longer the leader in innovation that you once were in the market. Other companies are doing a better job at listening to their customers and are doing it at a cheaper price point.

Is there something about this issue that does not make it straightforward for the engineering team to solve? The recommendations are industry-standard, the data exists, and the controls are all there. I’d be interested in hearing if this is even in the product roadmap at this point.

Alternatively, just change humidity to writeable and we’ll solve it ourselves.

Just had my aprilaire installed, the installer noticed I had a nest and offered to wire it for nest control.

After he left I started looking at the controls and find out that the nest wont automatically adjust target humidity based on the changing outdoor temp? what is this?

how is this not added yet?

Im going to have to call the installer and have him put in the controls aprilaire controls…

Just installed my state-of-the-art nest thermostat! How excited am I! It uses zip code to pull outside air data bypassing the need for a physical sensor. Very neat! Obviously this is present to control humidity set point as required by OSA temps. Of COURSE is it, right? Oh…it’s not? Please tell me you’re kidding. How absolutely baffling this is. The OEM thermostat I just replaced had this functionality (using a physical OSA temp sensor, but still…it worked). I honestly feel like I have been robbed. Fix this huge obvious hole in functionality, or make the set point read/write, please…and soon, as it’s January and those of us who don’t live in California really could use some dynamic control.

Well its too bad all of Nest’s customers wanting this features HAVE to hang over credentials when you should have addressed this problem 3 years ago when it was first asked for!!! It’s not that hard a feature to implement, especially since we know your API supports it. FFS just fix this PLEASE.

Signed up on this forum to say Nest please add this feature. It is critical for people in northern climates or those with wild temperature swings to have. Your thermostat already has the ability to set a max humidity level to maintain, so it shouldn’t be that much work to introduce dynamic humidity control or api access to the humidity set point.

Signed up to say this. This feature is the whole point of why a thermostat should be smart. Other thermostats can do it, it’s just a simple coding routine and NEST has chosen to ignore it’s customers. If you want to lose your market dominance this is how you do it.
On a second note it’s terrible UI to have to go through 4-5 menus to even adjust the humidity. What are you guys even doing over there? You can’t justify $250 for a thermostat that hasn’t changed in 3 years and has less features that it’s cheaper competitors. Pfft, buying an ecobee and ditching my nest was the best decision I’ve ever made.

Please add this feature, I purchased two of your Gen 3 thermostats, one for my first floor and one for my second. After connecting the thermostats, I cannot believe that this “advanced” thermostat cannot adjust the humidity inside based on the outdoor temperature.

I am willing to beta test if need be!

Condensation brought to you by the Nest “Learning” Thermostat!

Guess I’ll have to dig super deep into the menus and select a 100% opaque first drop and 20% transparent second drop instead of the 100% opaque first drop and 60% transparent drop that is already there…maybe this will be the correct roll of the dice here. For today’s weather. Maybe. Sigh.

+1 on the dynamic humidity control please. I woke up to this in my house this morning after the temperature fell to –28°C last night.

This should be available in the GUI ideally, but official API support would be a start.

Lots of good comments and ideas here: https://www.nest-community.com/s/question/0D51W00004zX9RXSA0/humidifier-control-using-outside-temperature?t=1549317746826

This should be a very simple feature to implement, and people have been asking for it for a long time.

I have the 3rd gen Nest thermostat and FIVE Nest Protects. Unfortunately I spent all of that money on this kit before realizing some of the limitations around features like this (and around interoperability with other home automation solutions).

What the F l, serious tho what the F?

So many needless limitations with the nest it is mind boggling.

I guess that is what you get when an Apple engineer develops a product. Looks nice, but limited when you want it to work right.

This is very frustrating, had an ecobee and this worked awesome. i decided to upgrade to the gen 3 nest and i find out its a dumb thermostat… how is there no frost control?

Just chalk up another slightly less ignorant user that’s going to start hedging bets against nest in the future if this doesn’t get addressed.

Cheers I suppose…