Nest Hot Water API

Has there been any updates on the Nest Hot Water API control? I see the admins locked all of the other threads. Does that mean it has been implemented and no longer needs to be discussed?

+1 for this feature

+1 for this.

Why was the other thread locked with no indication of where this feature is in the development cycle.
With all the new “features” and products, you’d think Nest devs would start by implementing the features being cried out for by their users.

Actually considering a move to Hive as this was asked for over a year ago. It’s not really good enough!

Half a product and half a service, no hot water integration with voice assistants. Hardly leading tech.

Many, many customers asking for this feature. Nest are silent about this.

+1
Please expose hot water control via API.

doesn’t seem likely. Nest’s silence on this is bordering on insulting.

Having read this thread, the previous thread https://nestdevelopers.io/t/api-for-hot-water-control-3rd-gen-nest-thermostat/197/28 and the thread with the companies reply https://nestdevelopers.io/t/nest-api-for-hot-water/913.
It does appear they are now working on it, even if it’s only at the earliest stages. I doubt anyone is going to give a running commentary about its development.
I agree it’s is long overdue and I honestly can’t understand why it’s not been implemented years ago, but we will just have to wait for it to be finished.

Been waiting a year and I got bored with waiting any longer. I wrote a little php class that works for me with my Amazon Alexa.Code on Github and an explanation of how it works at the bottom of the blog for anyone that wants to try and port.

I have only tested it on my Nest with my account so if anyone has any feedback or comments feel free to post them on github or the blog.

http://www.aimlesswandering.uk/web/2017/11/nest-thermostat-hot-water-controlled-by-alexa/

Thanks for your post excellent write up, will test and try to implement with tasker somehow.

There is hot water control from the stat and the app, I am confident it doesn’t take a year+ to write the required.

Any comment from Nest on their development of a solution to this?

I’ve been reading these posts for some time now and obviously have thought that the hot water voice controlled would be a formality considering that heating control has been working since Alexa made it to the UK. Can someone at Nest at least give an indication why they thought this wouldnt be a required option…obviously its a function that you expect people to use from the ap, so why not just have that simple option ported to the Alexa system too.

As many have already stated, it’s not a case of expecting a date or a full update, but one saying its being looked into and worked on would be great. Ignoring your millions of customers globally is rather insulting…especially as many like myself have been with you since day one. Having a great product is one thing, standing still whilst others advance around you is another

+1 for this.

In this thread: API for hot water control? (3rd-gen Nest Thermostat)

We were told to comment on it to show requirement, then it was locked.

+1 for this.

+1 for this

still no reply from Nest…what is going on

+1 for this

+1

• Exposing an existing feature, via an existing API, should not take over two years or indicates severe issues in the product development process/capabilities.
  • Closing a thread without any reasoning (API for hot water control? (3rd-gen Nest Thermostat)9) shows lack of respect towards customers.
  • Having a product that is: the most expensive on the market, has the least flexibility for 3rd party integration and has limited built in customization is pretty much a dead end in the IoT and home automation era. If you’re not listening to the individual customers, please at least try to consider it from business point of view (in this case the customer’s and your interest are the same IMHO).

Completely agree with the sentiments expressed here. I’m incredulous that it has taken so long and there has been so little meaningful communication from nest. This is the most expensive product in its market, it already effectively has this channel addressable in the US, and the advertising around it heavily implies heating and hot water functionality. Having one and not the other doesn’t make sense in the UK, where heating systems are understood to heat both houses and water.

Please treat us with a little more respect than closing threads without any meaningful answer. It’s not like these are difficult questions.