Security API added

announcements

A new endpoint, wwn_security_state, has been added at the structure level to the Nest API. This state works with Nest Cam to enable Works with Nest integrations to simulate occupancy and deter intruders.

To use this state, add the Security State read permission to your client. See the Security Guide for detailed information on the API and Product Review Guidelines for related updates.

Please note that this new API does not depend on the Nest Secure alarm system and is not a reflection of the status of that system, nor does it react to state changes in that system. It is completely separate.

Cool! Thanks for the update

When can we interface with Nest Secure?

When we have something to announce regarding a Nest Secure API, I’ll be sure post it here. At the moment, you can’t interface with Nest Secure via the API.

Thanks. We are holding out for hope on this one!

Thnx, keep us in the loop

We desperately need an API! I use Homeseer and would love to integrate my nest security devices with it.

It’s been quite a while now since last update on this matter… I have my Nest Secure since February, but without API access it is pretty much worthless to me as I cannot integrate it with my existing automated house (Home assistant).

The main reason I bought it was thinking that I could integrate it easily, as my Nest Thermostat or Cameras. If it is not the case soon, I guess I will move on to another product.

Come on guys, keep up the good work, give us an API :wink:

Jeff, I understand that Nest Secure is a security system and so it’s limited in terms of the API. Personally, I don’t need to change the state of my alarm system. However, some information about the Alarm system would be helpful. Also, I am not sure if I understand “API does not depend on the Nest Secure alarm system and is not a reflection of the status of that system, nor does it react to state changes in that system. It is completely separate.”

Therea are several issues with the current API:

• Structure state is not Nest Secure state (that’s how I understand the sentence above) - what is the relations, can these be in different states and what does that mean then?
  • Requires all users to have the app - some people don’t like to be tracked.
  • Requires cameras - some people don’t like cameras, moreover somewhere you can’t use cameras or it doesn’t make sense to use cameras (apartments) etc.

I actually think, and I believe this is nothing that would pose the alarm system into any risk, it would be great to be able to get current alarm system state, or to trigger alarm via HTTP request, and check Guard’s heartbeat.

So why do I want to have that:

• heartbeat could find out that wifi is down (I have reported this to Nest support) - at this moment the App does not notify (or at least immediately) that the wifi went down. This makes sense sometimes. But not always and there are scenarios when i would like to be notified immediately - say one of sensor detects a motion and then wifi goes down - this is a big red flag and most likely a burglary (alarm will sound, but I will not be notified).
  • setting up a cluster of secure systems - I want to sound alarm in other systems in the cluster if another system’s alarm is triggered. or at least notified (Alarm in apartment XYZ triggered alarm.)
  • other extension - remote systems, e.g. notification in a car, having Asterisk PBX reach out to a list of people, etc. etc.

Another problem (and I know this should not be solved with REST API but rather with Weave I guess) is is that Nest Detect is a sensor that can’t fit everywhere and/or can’t be mounted the way I need. E.g. it is still too big because it combines PIR detector and magnetic sensor + it has to be mounted vertically - this is my biggest problem as I need it horizontally (under or above my windows - you guys will need this in Europe for sure). This simply does not fit my windows.

Hi there -

Thanks for the feedback. There’s really only a few things I can address here, as this site is for the developer API, not product questions or suggestions in general (for those you should try nest.com/support or nest-community.com).

Also, I am not sure if I understand “API does not depend on the Nest Secure alarm system and is not a reflection of the status of that system, nor does it react to state changes in that system. It is completely separate.”

Structure state is not Nest Secure state (that’s how I understand the sentence above) - what is the relations, can these be in different states and what does that mean then?

The Security API that was added has nothing to do with the Nest Secure system. I know it’s confusing to have basically the same name, but it’s focused on deterrence based on events on Nest Cams. It doesn’t influence the alarming state of the home per the Nest Secure, or vice versa. The Nest Secure tracks whether the security system is armed or not, or if it’s been triggered.

With the Security API, a Nest Cam noticing a stranger hanging around your property could trigger the wwn_security_state to escalate to a deter state, while your Nest Secure system remains armed and untriggered.

More info here: https://developers.nest.com/documentation/cloud/security-guide

Requires all users to have the app - some people don’t like to be tracked.

Requires cameras - some people don’t like cameras, moreover somewhere you can’t use cameras or it doesn’t make sense to use cameras (apartments) etc.

The Nest Secure is built to interface with the Cloud and be managed from the Nest app or a Google Home. It was also built to work with existing Nest Cams a customer might have. You don’t have to have cameras to use Nest Secure, though. If you’re trying to manage the system entirely offline, however, then our product is probably not the right one for your use case.

Thanks for the reply Jeff. That makes sense to me. Maybe one more thing I din’t explain well - I am not trying to manage the system entirely offline. Instead actually, I’d like to build an app where I could expose certain features/flags of my Secure system to other Nest Secure system owners (in most cases neighbors). So if the system is alarming, not only me but also my neighbors could be notified, so we could keep an eye on our properties together. That’s why I was mentioning the clustering of Nest Secure systems.

So if I understand that correctly, Nest Secure does not have any REST API so far and you are not planning to release one any soon, right? Or say the heartbeat and the alarm state could eventually show up in one of the future releases?

Correct, the Nest Secure is not exposed through any kind of public API.

Jeff, I understand there is no public API for Nest Secure today, but just want to confirm…is the stance at Nest that there are no plans to release one? With the lack of sensor options and a big “works with nest” campaign, having one would be a huge value to customers. For example the built-in siren is pretty weak, it would be great to strobe/flash lifx bulbs when alarm is triggered. Thanks.

+1
I too see tremendous value to enhanced integration options and API access for Nest Secure. Personally, I was hoping to install a fob reader outside my door that disarms the security before I unlock the door (whether that lock is smart or dumb). I’d also like to see an Android widget because disarming the alarm before I open the door can take a long time (a con of having so many Nest products loaded in the app).

@jrlingle I appreciate the feedback, but unfortunately I can’t share anything about Nest’s roadmap or future plans for products or the API.