Support for Nest Thermostat E

Please note that the WWN API supports the Thermostat E, except for the Thermostat E with Heat Link in the EU. That version of the device will not appear in the WWN API.

Does this include support for the https://developer-api.nest.com/devices/thermostats/ endpoint? At the moment I cannot see my device in the api, I’m authing correctly and my application has the correct permissions to list it but when I run

curl -L https://developer-api.nest.com/devices/thermostats/\?auth\=${TOKEN}

I get returned a pair of curly braces with no content:

{}%

I have contacted support and their suggestion was that the api was still in development. Is this true and, if so, is it still on the roadmap?

Edit:

I have now downloaded and tested with the Nest Home Simulator; using the same token as above, when I add a virtual thermostat to my existing account I can see it when querying the API, which confirms that permissions and auth are correct for my application, but I just can’t see my Thermostat E for some reason.

If you are using the new Thermostat E with Heat Link in the EU, it unfortunately is not supported in the WWN API. When authorizing it there should be a disclaimer on the auth screen about it.

I’ve updated the above announcement.

Also, the docs need to be updated to mention that, which I’ll get done, apologies.

Thanks for the reply, are there any plans to support this in the future?

There are no plans for support at this time.

A connected thermostat, not available through an api :confused:

Hard to listen this.

I hope it will be handled soon, really. I’ve bough this one to plug it into Hass. Now i’m stuck.

1 Like

So one thing that needs clarification here: if we are in the EU and use the Nest E but without Heatlink. Will the API work or not?

The EU version of Thermostat E will not work with the API period, whether you use the Heatlink or not.

I’ve only just found this out after installing Thermostat Es in my house. Meaning the “Works with Nest” eTRV I’ve also bought are now useless as well, as your API is mysteriously missing so they can’t connect.

So that’s £500 worth of equipment, all sold on the basis that it’s connected, and your website not making it clear to the public that all the “works with Nest” stuff isn’t applicable for the EU/UK version of E.

Someone, somewhere owes me £500 back! :rage:

1 Like

Oh, this is highly disappointing. Is there any reason why the api isn’t supported? It’s one of the reasons I went for this thermostat.

1 Like

This is quite a let down, I bought this thermostat with the intention of integrating it with HASS.io & setting it up with my Harmony remote etc. It was not made clear on your website or any promotional material that the Nest Thermostat E doesn’t work with “Works with Nest” products. This should have been made crystal clear from the start.

It’s a shame as the Thermostat itself was easy to install & works well but the lack of an API is a joke for a “connected” device.

1 Like

I’m still interested to know the basis for this interesting choice to exclude one single product from the API. Could anyone from the staff explain to me why this decision is made?

1 Like

Can you explain why this product is excluded from the API?

2 Likes

I cannot. Stay tuned for more information on the restructured developer program!

I need to give this a try but, in a roundabout fashion, it looks like you might be able to issue commands to google assistant with hass.io in order to use it as a sort of proxy to your thermostat. Won’t have the full range but could at least give you temperature control https://www.home-assistant.io/components/google_assistant/#climate-operation-modes

@aberry This works the other way around. So you can’t talk to Google from home assistant.

It is so bad that the Nest thermostat e does not works in my home assistant because I live in Europe. I thought I had read all the information before purchasing this system. I even had to install the opentherm board in my boiler. It’s important for me to have everything working from one app.

I hope there will be some change soon.

1 Like

Ah I see, that’s a shame, I had thought maybe hoss could issue commands to assistant, but it makes sense that it’s the other way around. I get this feeling that there’s a new API inbound that they’re not allowed to talk about until finished; after all google home devices can talk to the thermostat E and learning thermostat both, plus the E has a newer model number than the learning thermostat, so perhaps “perpetual-beta” google are testing internally for once before releasing to the public? Totally a finger-in-the-air guess, though.

EDIT

Actually, by the looks of this post maybe not… Ah well.

I just bought a Nest Thermostat E few days ago in Spain. Everything is working fine so far, except for this. I wanted to automate some behaviours and play with it, but I wasn’t able to see my thermostat within the API responses. And then, I found this. I’m really disappointed!

I didn’t even check the developer website before buying it. Google Assistant is, in fact, able to make changes to the operating mode / setting temperature. So I thought the API was real, available for everybody. But it looks like it’s available only for some special third parties (I guess Nest being part of Google’s HW team might help).

Is there any chance the new restructured developer program Nest guys are talking about brings us access to our, supposed, connected and intelligent thermostats?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Very disappointing this, I would like to see a reaction from Nest that they will solve this in the future and make the API also usable for other Home Assistant users.

1 Like

I just bought a Nest Thermostat E to use it with home assistant, and now ending my search for a solutions by this page.
I’ve also do a lot of searching before I bought this one, I’ll hope to get an answer if this product will be supported (otherwise I’m thinking of sending it back, I have a few days to decide).

1 Like