Temperature sensor API

In this post they announced the halt in accepting new clientsuntil a new developer program is implemented (no timelines given). I’m assuming that is why there is no support for the sensors yet. Hopefully they will add the sensors if the new program is ever rolled out.

Hi @luva how is it coming on getting the API for the nest temperature sensor, I was hoping you guys could speed up the API roadmap for Nest Temperature Sensors so I can see an integration between the Nest Temperature Sensors and Flair Smart Vents. I would love to have this setup but without the API Flair can build support to do that.

Any update on the temp sensor API release?

Bump.

Come on guys.

Let’s get this done already.

+1 please make this happen

In case anyone is interested I’ve written a Go tool to scrape the home.nest.com webapp to retrieve the temperature sensor information. You can find it here:

https://jeffwilliams.github.io/nest-scrape/

1 Like

Nice work Kanobe, thanks for sharing. Shame on Nest for dealing with us in bad faith. We don’t believe for a second that you’re working on this.

Good job for nest-scrape and nest-remote-sensor !

After those modules don’t support 2FA and if you have bad security protection, you can be hacked: https://9to5google.com/2019/01/23/nest-cam-hack-nuclear-missile-password/

Why Nest don’t provide it ?

After reviewing posts and replies from NEST, I am not sure if NEST intends to support an API in the future. Maybe development and future purchases should not include NEST products. There are alternatives.

1 Like

Wishing I didn’t purchase temperature sensors now. Any chance Nest plans to support this or dump them for something else?

Nest.

I have invested in and backed your products since nearly the beginning.

Please get this API done.

We will keep annoying the crap out of you till you do.

Thanks.

They already have your money and they use it to pay people to pretend they are paying attention to these comments, they aren’t going to be annoyed.

Thanks Nest. We invested in quite a bit of Nest equipment and now we see you’re not committed to the product or dev’ing out the API needed to use this effectively. Google buying Nest has successfully killed the “spirit of the product”. Why did you pay so much for it if you were going to simply let it die a slow death? I am NOT recommending this product to any of my customers. Ecobee, it is!

Hi Nest-

It seems you have stopped replying to questions on this.

I have just purchased a number of temperature sensors to hopefully integrate with some flair smart vents.

The Flair team is directing a number of your customers to this thread to request you open the API for developers.

It does seem disingenuous of you to keep it in house, particularly when you don’t offer any products that help with smart zoning.

I would appreciate some response other than “we are working on it”. Can’t be that hard, you are google after all.

Hi…I have homemade temperature sensors that I used with my previous non-Nest thermostat, which presented a local endpoint for setting a remote temperature. I want to have temperature reporting from different rooms, selected by presence detection.

I too am waiting for the temp sensor api access.

This thread is now a year old as of today. @Luva how much longer do we have to “Stay tuned”? Are you still working on releasing this feature? Certainly doesn’t seem like it. :frowning:

Yea… I have essentially given up on nest at this point. Using these sensors for home automation would be great, but they want you locked into THEIR cloud.

As a consumer, I will steer clear of buying anymore of these products. Guess Ill buy the $15 Samsung Sensors and integrate it into my home automation to control my Nest thermostat.

@jcbbas Even better… Z-Wave temperature sensors so you’re not locked into Samsung’s cloud :wink:

I’ve been studying a lot in consideration for the purchase of a smart thermostat system for my home. Of critical importance is the level of 3rd party integration and how the company treats 3rd party developers. I’ve come across several third-party products that have the same problem with nest, such as Flair smart vents. Or I would simply like to do something esoteric with IFTTT.
This is such a basic request.
The non release of this simple API and particularly the non interaction with Developers on the topic for such a long time is alarming. It is enough for me to overcome my love for nest’s beautiful design and look elsewhere.
It’s just not a good idea to invest so much money on a closed system.

I too would very much like to see this feature added to the API.